Helpful navigation toolbar

Friday, December 3, 2010

Tomistoma at the San Antonio Zoo

(One quick note before today's post. I changed the pricing for the digital downloads in my smugmug gallery. If you really like a photo and would like to purchase it the best bet would be to contact me so I can make sure you get exactly what you are looking for, but if you just want a photo for your desktop wallpaper or something like that the digital download through smugmug is probably the best way to go. Now on to the post!)


This photograph is of a Tomistoma (or "False Gharial") that is on display in the San Antonio Zoo in San Antonio, Texas. Based off the long snout I originally thought this was some sort of juvenile crocodile (see what I did there!?) but was very surprised in researching the picture to found out it was a very distant relative to the crocodile and in all likelihood is not related to the crocodile at all.

An adult Tomistoma can be between 15 and 18 feet in length. It is an endangered species and currently only found in the wild in six waterways in Sumatra and Malaysia (taken from wikipedia).

I thought this shot was pretty neat how it was just sitting there on the log partially submerged in the water. I didn't even notice the reflection of it's mouth in the water until I started processing. I originally took this shot a few weeks ago so I cannot remember for sure, but I think there was another Tomistoma on display with this one as well.


Tomistoma at the San Antonio Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment