Helpful navigation toolbar

Monday, March 7, 2011

Yellow Rose Alamo and San Fernando Sunset

Today's photos are shots that I took on Friday while visiting downtown to get some shots of the 175th anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo .

The first shot is of the yellow roses placed in front of the Alamo which I took shortly after yesterday's post can be (seen here). I knelt down to make the angle of the shot a bit more level with the top of the rose display and I think this perspective focuses more on the roses than anything else. I would have liked to get a shot when there were no people around (such as really early in the morning or really late at night) but unfortunately I was unable to get back downtown to try to get another shot with less (or no) people in it.


Yellow Roses in front of the Alamo


The second shot is of the sunset outside of San Fernando Cathedral. I have taken photos of this church before (posts here, here, and here), but this marked the first time I took a shot around sunset. I did not have my tripod with me, so I used a trash can covering near the walkway for stability and took a series of bracketed shots. I also added the border using Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, which I think adds a nice touch to the photo. While my shot of the lightning strike outside of the church is probably going to remain my favorite, this is the strongest candidate that I have taken, to date, that may replace the lightning strike photo as my all-time favorite San Fernando shot. I am not quite sure exactly what it is about this shot that I like but it is definitely one that I am very pleased with how it turned out.


Sunset at San Fernando


If you are so inclined, please feel free to leave any comments or feedback. Also remember that clicking on the photo takes you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug where you can view this (and my other photos) in various sizes. If you enjoyed this post, please take the time to pass my post(s) on to others whom you also feel would enjoy my work. Thanks for stopping by!



4 comments:

  1. These are both totally awesome Brian, but I have to admit I am in love with the second night shot you posted here. I LOVE the way the light is dancing around the entrance of the church, how incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both those shots are fabulous and I love the flowers in front of the Alamo. I guess I need to get back down to the Cathedral since the fountains are back on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian I like the second photo the best. I love the lighting on the Cathedral. Very cool. How does it look in the evening? I bet nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful image Brian. Love the glowing lights nice work!

    ReplyDelete