Helpful navigation toolbar

Monday, May 30, 2011

In the bottle

Today's photo is another example of how a common object can look very different when you toss a macro lens and flash combination into the mix. The subject of today's photo is a bottle of beer (Beverageous Intoxicatious) with the camera positioned over the top of the bottle looking down and the focus being in the interior contents rather than the bottle itself. I think this shot creates a pretty interesting perspective and I don't recall ever seeing a shot like this before (that is not to say that it has not been done, as I am sure it has, I just don't remember seeing a shot from a vantage point like this before with beer in the bottle).

I thought about trying to get the bottle and coaster perfectly centered in the shot to give it a sense symmetry, but I think that would actually detract from the photo and the slightly off-centered look ends up creating a much better looking shot. I used a single RAW image for this shot and used DPP to create a total of three shots of +1, 0, and -1. I am really enjoying the macro flash and lens combination (I honestly don't know why I waited so long before getting the flash) and still have quite a bit of learning to do, but as long as I manage to get a shot like this every once in awhile that really impresses me, the learning curve of macro photography is definitely worth it!


In the bottle


Please feel free to leave comments and/or feedback below. Also remember that clicking on the photo lets you view the image in various sizes as well as taking you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug. Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

  1. That is COOL Brian! I love the perspective and composition here, it really adds a ton of interest and drama to the picture. Awesome work my friend... now... which way to the bar 'round these here parts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting perspective Brian! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, I am glad you like the shot! I am working on another photo right now that I took playing with the macro lens over the weekend that I think might come out even better!

    ReplyDelete