Helpful navigation toolbar

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Awakening

The subject of today's post is a sculpture called "The Awakening" by J. Seward Johnson, Jr, which is located at National Harbor near Washington, D.C. The sculpture was actually the primary reason why we decided to make a trip down to National Harbor on a spur of the moment decision one weekend. The drive is only about 45 minutes or so from my apartment in Baltimore, and we were fortunate to have the weather cooperate with us.


Our weekend trip started at National Harbor, but I decided that I wanted night shots of the sculpture and the Peeps Store, so we spent the afternoon at the International Spy Museum, then went back to National Harbor to get the night shots that I desired.


I cropped this photo quite considerably, the sculpture consists of the three elements in this shot as well as a leg and a foot. The 17-40mm lens had no problem capturing the whole shot, but I felt that cropping the image so you can see just the arm, hand, and face produced a much better photo. I used a heavy amount of desaturation on the background, and colored the sculpture itself to resemble fleshy coloring, which I personally think makes the photo look much better than the true dark grey coloring of the sculpture.


The Awakening


Please feel free to click on the photo to see it in various sizes, which also take you to my online gallery, hosted over at smugmug, where you can see additional photos that I have posted. If you enjoyed viewing this photo, please leave comments or feedback below and please pass the link on to others if you so desire. Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment