Helpful navigation toolbar

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Zoltar

Today's photo was taken inside the Buckhorn Museum & Saloon & Texas Ranger Museum in downtown San Antonio, Texas. Most readers will probably recall that a similar machine was an integral part of the movie "Big" that starred Tom Hanks. That is the first thing that I saw when I saw it, but what I did not know at the time is that the machine in the movie was actually a Zoltar machine as well! I did not feel like tempting fate, so rather than pay a dollar for Zoltar to speak and risk turning me into a child again, I chose instead to take some photos of Zoltar.


I did my best to minimize the reflection in the glass, which was pretty difficult because there are a lot of lights near the entrance to the Buckhorn. This past Sunday the San Antonio Express News ran an article about "cool bars to visit in San Antonio", so I decided to pay the Buckhorn a visit after enjoying lunch with my wife at Fogo de Chão. I took several shots inside of the Buckhorn (and of other places downtown during the excursion downtown) but this was by far my favorite of the day so I processed it first.


During processing, I improvised a new technique to process this photo that I am going to likely use in future shots. I could not get the sides of the shot to look exactly how I wanted using the normal double planar tool in Bokeh 2, so I processed each side separately, then combined the results. I also desaturated the color from the sides of the shot to make Zoltar stand out a bit more. I was hoping to achieve a supernatural/eerie/creepy/mystical look in this shot, and I think the extra time that I spent trying to get the shot exactly how I envisioned it when setting up the tripod and camera to capture this scene was totally worth it.


Zoltar



If you are so inclined, please feel free to leave any comments or feedback. Also remember that clicking on the photo takes you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug where you can view this (and my other photos) in various sizes. If you enjoyed this post please take the time to "Like" my Facebook fan page and pass my post(s) on to others whom you think may enjoy my work. Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

  1. Love this shot and the Bokeh and desaturation on the sides definitely bring out the mystical mood of Zoltar...very cool shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    This is a great image. The lighting is spot on and just the right amount of sharpness and Bokeh. Looks like he could jump right out of that box. Kinda has a 3D effect to it. Again nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot! You definitely got that creepy/super natural feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! It was hard to not post this image right after I took it, but I think waiting for my Sea World Week series to conclude before posting it was a good idea. I am glad you like the shot!

    ReplyDelete