Helpful navigation toolbar

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Korean Pavilion - Denman Estate Park

Yesterday I had a little free time so I fired up the Gulfstream G650 and flew over to South Korea to take some photos.


Ok, so not really. I actually stayed here in San Antonio and visited the Denman Estate Park (near Loop 410 and I-10) to take some photos of the Korean Pavilion that is located on the grounds of the city park. I had no idea something like this even existed in the city, one of the local news channels did a small story on it the night before the city was paralyzed by a massive amount of snow and ice ("officially" a whopping 4/10 of one inch!). I made my way up there on Saturday and was able to take a few photos from different angles without that many people walking around (the entire time I was there I would estimate there were maybe 15 people total). The area is quite stunning, unless you know where it is or are able to find it you would have no idea that something this tranquil is so close to the city.


The Denman Estate Park does not appear to have an official website, but I was able to find some background on the "visitsanantonio.com" site that had a small story a few months ago about the official opening:

"The City of San Antonio invites the community to a special ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of a Korean Pavilion at the new Denman Estate Park. The “Pavilion of Gwang-Ju” was gifted to the City of San Antonio by Mayor Kang Un Tae to represent the sister-city relationship with Gwang-Ju, Korea. A delegation representing the City of Gwang-Ju is planning to attend the special event, which will further strengthen business and cultural ties between the two cities and countries. A Korean choir group and dancers will take part in the ceremony and celebrations. The public is invited to stay after the ribbon-cutting to enjoy the park, which officially opens with this special celebration."


I am not certain what the wording on the rock is in the first shot, hopefully a reader will be able to translate that, as well as the phrase that is written on the Pavilion itself (they look like they are the exact same, but I am not 100% certain). The second shot I took very close with the ultra wide angle lens (10-22mm) to get a shot of the entire structure and surrounding area while venturing too far from the path. I hope you enjoy viewing the photos of a 100% authentic Korean Pavilion located right here in San Antonio!


As always, please feel free to leave any comments or feedback, and remember clicking on the photo takes you to my online gallery hosted over at smugmug where you can view this (and other photos I have taken) in various sizes. Thanks for stopping by!



Path to the Korean Pavilion


Up close shot of the Korean Pavilion




PS: If anyone wants to "donate" a Gulfstream G650 (or even a flight on one) to this amateur photographer it would be greatly appreciated! :)


4 comments:

  1. Love the vibrant colors with the blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am going to have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! I am still shocked that something like this is in San Antonio. It really feels like you are in another world walking around the park, even if it is kind of small!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the photo and info. While google mapping a location for a dr's appt, I noticed the little green shaded area noting Denman Park and did a search. Your photo link is really the only thing with any good info I could find. Thanks for the beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete